Friday, August 31, 2007

I Don't Know What To Say

Well today after Makayla got off the bus and while she was eating her snack, she asks me...


" Mommy, what's a lezien?"


" A What?"


" A lezien?"

After hearing it a second time I figured out what she was talking about. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know if I should explain how people of the same sex are attracted to each other or what. How do you explain what a lesbian is to a 6 year old?

So I asked her where she hear it from. She told me a boy at school called her a "lezien", because she wanted to play with the boys. All I could do was tell her it was a name mean boys call girls. I was hoping that, the answer would be good enough. Which it was. Woo! I cleared that hurdle.

I guess now comes the creative part of being a parent. I now have to try and explain things to the girls that they don't need to know yet. I don't want to lie to them about things, but I also don't want them to know some things just yet.

Kids now are smarter than I was at the same age. I guess that goes with every generation. I remember telling my Mom my first dirty joke when I was 10. The joke was so good, she went to work and told other people.

Ahh, the joys of being a parent.

1 comment:

Heather said...

hmm. i wonder how they are going to start teaching K and 1st graders on this subject, since bills are being passed to do so. do you think they will say "it is a mean name boys call girls"?